Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What's wrong with my Minn kota trolling motor?

I have an older minn kota mag 18 that I bought used a couple years a go. Still run strong and is very quiet when not in the water but as soon as it hits the water I can hear a clanking sound from the top unit. It doesn't sound that bad when in the lower speed but if you full blast it, it sounds pretty bad and it gets worst when going through weeds. It still runs strong but I think it's just a matter of time before it quites on me. Anybody know what's wrong with it? What do I need to change/ fix, to get it running smooth again?What's wrong with my Minn kota trolling motor?
the motor itself is in the lower unit, those older models have no circuitry or electrical parts in the head on top, just the steering mechanism. Something's vibrating against something else - 4 screws hold the plastic top in place, it's not even sealed, go ahead and open it up, you'll probably be able to see what's hitting what.What's wrong with my Minn kota trolling motor?
Sounds like the armature is hitting a magnet
  • d3100
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment