Saturday, January 14, 2012

What is the best charger to use to charge a deep cycle marine battery?

A just bought a Minn Kota Riptide 45lb thrust trolling motor.What is the best charger to use to charge a deep cycle marine battery,I hear there are types that you just leave the battery plugged into that maintain it but haven't had any luck locating because I don't understand exactally what I'm looking for.What is the best charger to use to charge a deep cycle marine battery?
Best way to maintain it is with a "smart charger" with "float" or "maintain" mode. Use your highest setting but not more than 25% of the amp hour capacity or 10% of the reserve capacity, 12 or 15 amps is good for most batteries. Charging current will decline as battery charge increases, then it will automatically switch to a maintenance mode that keeps it charged.



I found a good bench charger at sams for under $50.



You can get an onboard charger, that plugs into an outlet in your garage, but I have noticed people on my local fishing board complain that they aren't very durable. I guess the shock and vibration and corrosive atmosphere takes its toll. Minn Kota makes some, check their website. Plenty other brands out there.



just look for the term "smart charger"What is the best charger to use to charge a deep cycle marine battery?
A 'smart-charger' is best way to go. I use a Guest cahrger on my sailboat, 12v x 2 with a Battery Switch.

They are smart, it does a slow trickle charge and 'reads' the battery so that it does not over-charge, which is very bad and does not undercharge, which is as good as a dead cell battery.

I use to run a Minn Kota motor on a SanJuan sailboat, it worked great, I would have to fully charge after every run, I had a 'smart' charger then also, it was a Commercial Unit from a garage. Now they sell those at Target, Wal-Mart, Ace and other places for $50 or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment