Thursday, January 19, 2012

Do I need a rheostat or "POT" and which one?

I have a busted minn kota e-drive on a 2003 escape cruz electric deck boat. This is a 48 volt trolling motor rated a 2hp not sure how many amps it draws. The lower unit is working as I have hooked it up directly to a battery. And the electronic control cable works as I have found continuity on all 11 pins. I want to eliminate the mother board and electronic throttle control and replace it with a rheostat or pot for speed control. I think the mother board might be the problem but there is no way for me to test it as it has that hard black silicone. The only other component I have not tested because of lack of know how is a 4 terminal solenoid that seems to be connected for the key ignition. Please any ideas to get this running again will be appreciated. I am also able to email pics if needed. ThanksDo I need a rheostat or "POT" and which one?
It would be a rheostat but it would be large, difficult to buy and very wasteful of energy. It seems likely the speed controller but may not be expensive. I would recommend contacting the supplier and their service for a quote. As you say it cannot be fixed readily, it is a replacement part, just like it would be for a car. Don't try to diagnose it for them, it may end up misleading.

No comments:

Post a Comment