Saturday, January 14, 2012

Gps fish finder and trolling motor?

I want to upgrade my trolling motor to a minn Kota with ipilot and my fish finder with one that has gps. Now I hear you can hook the motor to the fish finder. What would be the benefit of doing this? Since I can plot routes with the ipilot remote is a fish finder with gps even necessary?Gps fish finder and trolling motor?
I'm not familiar with the Ipilot stuff, but I'm guessing that it's not an actual GPS enabled thing, right? If I'm not mistaken, you can just plot routes around certain areas of water, as you said. While that is nice, it won't give you the benefits of an actual GPS unit. The great thing about having a GPS enabled finder is the fact that you can mark very specific spots. For example, you may run into a certain section of a lake with a deep drop off, point, or just a large brush pile. With a GPS, you can mark this specific spot, so you don't forget where it was at. There have been more than a few times when I wished I had a GPS enabled depth finder because of this. Sometimes, there is one brush pile that holds A LOT of fish, but cruising around with a non GPS unit trying to pin-point it can take up a lot of fishing time.

I would have to think they would be great to have throughout the summer as well. In my area, we normally experience at least one fairly significant drought during the summer. This lowers lake levels a lot, which shows you some underwater structure that you normally wouldn't see. Again, marking these specific areas down with a GPS will greatly play to your advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment