Thursday, January 19, 2012

I plan to mount a 34 lbs thrust electric trolling motor on my 15'6" long, 37" beam canoe?

and I wonder if this is enough power? My friend has a 17'5" long, 38" beam canoe with a Minn Kota Endura 50. I have to say, this canoe moves fast, even set to 4 (out of 5) it is no problem covering what is known to be a mile, in about 15 minutes (4mph). I plan on using an Endura 34. Do you think I will be able to cruise anywhere near 4 mph? Even going against the wind or current, my friend can make 4 mph if he sets it to 5. Seems 4 mph is the maximum speed of the hull, maybe 4.5 mph. Thanks.I plan to mount a 34 lbs thrust electric trolling motor on my 15'6" long, 37" beam canoe?
You are correct in thinking that there is a max hull speed for your canoe. Your friend reaches the hull speed on his canoe at a thrust level of 4. In your case your canoe is slightly shorter, so you might have a hull speed of 3.8 So the question becomes can you reach that hull speed with the lower thrust motor. I don't know for sure but I'd bet you will be close. Good luck!I plan to mount a 34 lbs thrust electric trolling motor on my 15'6" long, 37" beam canoe?
I have a 17'6" canoe fitted with a Minn Kota 34 lb thrust trolling motor. With a good battery and charged up, I can get 3.4 mph. The shorter canoe is probably lighter also. You will get more than 3.4 MPH. I lose .2 or .3 mph against the wind and gain .2 or .3 mph with the wind. I can travel 7 miles with no really noticeable loss of power.

No comments:

Post a Comment