Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Anyone know about Minn Kota electric motors? (30lb thrust, 50lb thrust, both handle driven)?

I have a 50lb thrust that was working great, but at the end of the year, it stopped working right. The motor seemed sluggish for a little while then it would slow down and die. I thought it was the battery so I brought a back up battery, but that didn't fix the problem. Just to be sure, I brought my dad's Minn Kota. Once mine died, I hooked his up (same battery) and I fished the rest of the day! I have an older Minn Kota that I decided to use instead and for some reason that won't work anymore either. I plug it into my bettery and turn it on and it gets hot up top by the handle. That's a 30lb thrust. Anyone know how to fix these? Is one easier to fix than the other?Anyone know about Minn Kota electric motors? (30lb thrust, 50lb thrust, both handle driven)?
the lower unit contains a stator and rotor that provide power to the shaft. there may be a short or worn place on either of these units that can occur with age and usage. you can replace these but if they are the problem it may pay to get a new one. check Minkota.com for more detail.Anyone know about Minn Kota electric motors? (30lb thrust, 50lb thrust, both handle driven)?
Check out behind the plug in the boat hull and look for a loose wire or corrosion. That will slow it down and can burn up the plug. Also clean and tighten the plug on the trolling motor.

If it doesn't improve, the lower unit need to be cleaned around the prop. Fishing line can slow it down along with other debris.

good luck
  • barometer
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment